Are you drinking enough water?
Many of us have started the year with health-related goals.
One thing I always focus on, regardless of my goal, is water intake. I used to derive my daily water from 8-10 diet cokes a day. Wow, that was a bad habit! Awhile back, I cut out soda and started focusing on increasing my water. It has helped appetite control, energy and I’m sure my overall health.
I will say, it is still a struggle to drink enough water in the day because my intake goals are pretty high. Here’s what I do to help hit that daily number:
- First, I calculated how much I should drink.
- I divided my weight by 2 and that’s the # of ounces I drink a day. So, let’s say I weigh 100 lbs (I don’t but this is easy math), I would drink 50 oz a day.
- On days that I workout, I drink 8 oz before the workout and another 8 oz during the workout. My body needs some extra water to replenish so I don’t count this as part of the daily total.
- Then, I figured out what would help me reach that goal. If I left it up to chance, I would forget until bedtime and then try to slam down as much as I could…. Instead, here’s what I do:
- Drink 16 oz when I wake up in the morning. If it’s cold, I drink hot water with a little lemon. Great wake-me-up.
- I drink one 8oz glass with each meal. I eat 5 times a day so that’s 40 oz.
- I switch between tap water and carbonated or sparkling water. I might need to consider getting one of those soda stream machines. That La Croix really adds up!
I hope this helps. It’s a super simple, often-overlooked way to help improve our health.