50 Skills To Get the Most Out of Your Alexa
In This Post
- Do you have a smart speaker?
- My favorite skill
- Simplify dinner
- Remember all the groceries
- Make entertaining easier
- Make sure nothing falls off your to-do list or calendar
- Be prepared for the day
- Fit in a workout
- Be calm, focused and inspired
- Learn and grow
- Find something to do
- Entertain the kids (and yourself)
- Simplify travel
- Stay on top of the news
- And other things to try – pets, pregnancy & burglars
- Take Action list
Do You Have a Smart Speaker?
We bought some smart speakers (Amazon Alexa and Amazon Dots) over the summer. We bought them for music, but have been finding out they can do so much more!
Do you have smart speakers?
Most friends, coaching clients and readers I’ve talked to either have one (actually, it seems many have multiples!) or are planning to get one soon.
To help get the most out of your Alexa, I compiled this list of skills for you to try.
But first…. my favorite skill
Before we get started on the full list of best Alexa skills for moms, I can’t help but share here at the beginning that Crushing Motherhood has a skill too!
Of course it’s my #1 favorite Alexa skill!
It’s called the Crushing Motherhood Minute.
I share quick daily tips on organization, productivity, time management, parenting, mindset, and working mom success strategies.
It’s the type of content you read here on the Crushing Motherhood blog, but in bite size pieces over audio. So fun!
Let’s get started
Now that you know about my FAVORITE skill , let’s dive into the other best Alexa skills for moms.
To use these skills, just say “Alexa open” and then say the skill name.
You will also see the instructions on how to launch each skill on the skill’s home page (see links I’ve inserted below).
1) Simplify dinner
The first category of best Alexa skills for moms is “simplifying dinner.” Some of these skills are verbal and will give you simple to follow ideas. verbally. Others will ask for your email address so they can email you the recipe.
- Meal Idea
- Food Network
- Meat Thermometer
- Starbucks reorder
- Amazon Restaurants (select cities for Prime members)
- Or you can ask Alexa a question like “how do I cook a turkey.” This can be hit or miss but seems to work for simple questions. She answers the question and then asks if you want more information. I asked her to email me the instructions. So fun and easy!
2) Remember all the groceries
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “remembering all the groceries.”
Does it drive you nuts when you
- leave the grocery store and realize you forgot a few items?
- Or, your husband asks where the coffee creamer is when you get home even though he never asked for it
It does me!
Here’s how Alexa can help:
- Any family member add to your grocery list by saying something like “Alexa, add cheese to my grocery list.”
- If you don’t have a list yet, Alexa will ask if you want to create one.
- Then, you can find your full list in the Alexa app on your phone
- PRO-TIP: I like to have separate lists by store (e.g. Costco, Trader Joes, King Soopers)
3) Make entertaining easier
While we’re on the topic of food, The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “making entertaining easier.” Try these skills:
(They’re all related to alcohol…I guess you can see a window into the type of entertaining I like!)
4) Make sure nothing falls off your to-do list or calendar
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is keeping track of your lists and calendar.
- You can have Alexa create lists for you by saying “create a list called … whatever you want” and then you can add to that verbally. Just like the grocery list idea above.
- Quick Events for Google Calendar
- Or, find the list app you use and follow the instructions to use that skill. Here are some of the most popular:
5) Be prepared for the day
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “being prepared for the day.”
- Ask Alexa for ideas for kids lunches
- Ask Alexa to remind you of important things at a specific time (e.g. remind me to leave for swimming practice at 5pm)
- Check the weather, in hopes the kids will dress accordingly. (anyone else have issues with kids not wanting to wear pants…ever?)
6) Fit in your workout
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “fit in your workouts”.
7) Be calm, focused and inspired
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “being calm, focused and inspired.”
Find a quiet spot to use these skills. This is one of the reasons I have an Alexa dot in my office. I definitely wouldn’t be able to use these in the kitchen where our main Alexa is! Would you?
- Guided Meditation
- Headspace (link to your account if you have one; they have kid-specific meditations too)
- Ambient Noise
- Good Vibes
8) Learn and grow
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “learning.”
- Ted Talks
- Today’s Word
- Audible – tell Alexa to play a book from your Audible account
- This Day in History
- Question of the Day
9) Find something to do
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “finding something to do”.
- What’s New on Amazon Prime Video Unofficial
- What’s New On Netflix Unofficial
- Ask Alexa to find the movie you want to see
- There are skills for many cities. Search your city name on the Alexa Skills page of Amazon to find them.
10) Entertain the kids (and yourself)
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “entertaining the kids, and maybe yourself too.”
- Board game answers
- Fart sounds (I didn’t mind this and can’t believe I’m listing it…but, my boys love it)
- Mad Libs
- Hide and seek
- Whose turn (chores…not necessarily entertainment but a way to keep the kids occupied)
- Potterhead quiz
- Short bedtime story
- Play your favorite music
11) Simplify travel
The next category of best Alexa skills for working moms is “simplifying travel”.
12) Stay on top of the news that matters to you
The next category of best Alexa skills for moms is “staying informed”.
Daily news and tips type information is organized in Alexa under “Flash Briefings”.
You can just choose a source and add it to your Flash Briefing via the Alexa app. Then, ask Alexa to play your flash briefing and she’ll play them all in sequence.
HUGE time saver and way to create an easy routine.
13) And other things to try
The last category of best Alexa skills for moms is “miscellaneous things to try.”
- Life Hacks
- What To Expect (for pregnant women)
- Burglar Deterrent
- My Pet Doc
- Alexa “set an alarm at whatever time to whatever song you like”
Next Steps ➡ Take Action
- Click here to subscribe to the Crushing Motherhood Minute
- Click here to join the conversation over at The Corporate Moms Club on Facebook
- Click here to apply for your (no cost) Strategy Session with me. This is the best way to dive into your goals, what’s holding you back, and to make an action plan to accomplish what you truly want.
Alexa isn’t just for music. She can do so much more! Try the list of Alexa skills for moms I shared above to
- save you time,
- entertain yourself and your kids,
- learn more,
- facilitate your daily habits,
- make life easier, and
- stay in touch with Crushing Motherhood via the Crushing Motherhood Minute! 🙂
Did You Know?
I’m a success coach for corporate moms.
If you’re reading this, my bet is that you’re an ambitious mom who wants all she can out of life, for herself and for her family.
But, like so many other moms, you might be feeling
- Spread too thin,
- That you’ll never get back on track to the high achiever you used to be.
- You’re in survival mode.
- You might be feeling like you’re failing at everything as a result.
I can relate. I used to be all of these things (and more). But, then I found a coach who helped me get exactly what I wanted
- Belief in myself and my new identity (one that incorporates but isn’t defined by motherhood)
I help other ambitious moms do the same thing.
I work with other ambitious moms like you to create and execute the mindset, strategies and routines that are required get out of survival mode and achieve your goals, both personally and professionally.
Think of it as a re-set for ambitious moms, like you, who want to maximize what you do, who you are, and all you impact, to make the most out of your life. Do you want to:
- Regain control of your current career path
- Create better balance (don’t believe the naysayers, it is possible)
- Migrate to an alternative career path such as part-time or
- Build your own consulting business
The first step is a complimentary Strategy Session where we talk about your goals, your obstacles and create a mini action plan for you.
Click this link to APPLY FOR your free Strategy Session.
This is time focused on you and your goals, and how to get to the next level.